Pages

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Vegan Buttermilk Sausage Biscuits

Biscuits with sausage were my secret guilty pleasure for the last years of my 15 year stint as a vegetarian. Specifically McDonald's Sausage Biscuits. Truly, a super secret guilty pleasure. I had them once a year on the way to the beach with my mom. I know, it sounds like a food horror story from my childhood, but I freely participated in this one.

Lately I've been totally addicted to making biscuits with cider vinegar and almond milk as my "buttermilk." I found the recipe at Holy Cow (a great blog, check it out if you are not familiar with it). I now know the recipe by heart! What's even better, is that it's easy to make only 2 or 3 and then there are no leftovers (old biscuits are N.G. no good!)

I toyed with the idea of using the Field Roast (bought with the coupon I won through Vegan MoFo) as the sausage for this sausage biscuit, but upon finding this sausage recipe from hell yeah it's vegan, I knew the DIYer in me would win out. (By the way, I bought the Wild Mushroom Field Roast, highly recommend it!)

Vegan Buttermilk Sausage Biscuits
(makes 6-8)

1 cup very cold almond milk
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
2 cups all-purpose flour (the original calls for 1 cup all purpose and 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour)
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons margarine, cut into small cubes, placed in the freezer for at least 20 minutes

In small container mix vinegar and almond milk and set aside to curdle for at least 5 minutes. In medium mixing bowl, combine flour(s), baking powder, baking soda, and salt and blend well. Add well chilled margarine and cut into the flour, either using two knives or a strong fork, until the margarine is well blended and the flour resembles coarse cornmeal. Stir in the almond milk and form into a ball, and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Remove dough from refrigerator. Sprinkle a little flour on clean counter or cutting board and roll dough out to 1/2 inch thickness, and fold it in half. Roll one more time and fold in half. Cut out disks of dough using biscuit cutter or an upside down glass. Combine scraps from cut biscuits to create last ones and brush tops with olive oil. Bake for 13-15 minutes until golden brown on top. Remove from oven and serve with your favorite faux sausage.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:

Jackfruit Carnitas and Yam Fries at Veggie Fixation
Seaweed and Ranch Dressing at Just the Food
Spicy Rapini Stuffed Girasoli at 4 Every Kitchen

No comments: