Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Chickpea Cutlets with Cashew Parmesan Sauce

Despite my seriously Scandanavian name, I grew up surrounded by Italians - 'Eyetalans in their parlance, and Sicilian at that. Lots and lots and lots of red sauce! My first job was a mom and pop restaurant where I was first introduced to pizza, calzones and scacciatas. That is also where I first discovered breaded, baked goodies called "parmesan" - everything from mozzarella to eggplant and plenty of meat as well. Truly, there is so little that is better than breaded food, slathered in good red sauce and topped in cheese (wait, isn't that a pizza? Just about, I rest my case!)

When first I spied Isa Chandra's Chickpea Cutlets my first thought was, "Vegan Parmesan!" And so that is what I made, and they were good, and my mother, a happy carnivore, will never be the same again, thank you Isa Chandra!

Actually, my pride at restraining myself until the middle of Vegan MoFo before using one of the Vegan Goddess' recipes is quite full to bursting, so pats on the back are all around. All I can say is if you haven't tried these patties yet, what are you waiting for? Smother them in mushroom gravy, make a burger out of them or crumble them on your Cesar Salad (brilliant idea!) but make them now!

The recipe is for a "double batch" which makes 8 good size patties, but next time I will double that, because these are the best thing to have in your freezer when you get the lazies and just don't want to face cooking (which never happens, ever! right?!)

In keeping with my theme of DIY Pantry, I used my own very simple homemade tomato sauce, which can be found here.

ChickPea Cutlets with Cashew Parmesan Sauce
(Serves 4) 

4 chickpea cutlets (recipe from Veganomicon, also on Post Punk Kitchen) 
1 batch tomato sauce (DIY Pantry)

Parmesan Cashew Sauce
2 cups cashews, soaked at least 6 hours
3 tablespoons plant milk (I used almond)
2 tablespoons nooch
2 teaspoons light miso
1 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste

Puree cashews with all ingredients in sauce until smooth and pourable, but thicker than pancake batter. Heat tomato sauce if not making it fresh, and spoon over freshly fried cutlets (or warm them in a toaster oven until hot in the middle). Spoon parmesan sauce over red sauced cutlets and sprinkle with fresh oregano if desired.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:

Homemade Wheat Thins at Smitten Kitchen
Vegetarian Stuffed Grape Leaves at An Edible Mosaic
Mexican Green Rice at Simply Recipes 

No comments: