Pages

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Savory Onion Tofu Scramble


Tofu scramble - it's not the latest craze - and while I'm pretty late to that party, I have to tell you that this version is really worth checking out. The basic recipe is from Post Punk Kitchen, naturally, but the added savory onion is my inspiration.

Part of my reluctance to try out the tofu scramble was because I was never a big fan of eggs to begin with. I have such an aversion to cooked eggs that the current fashion of putting a fried egg on top of just about anything - pizza, salad, toast - makes my stomach do olympic size flip flops. In the past when I have eaten eggs, it was only scrambled and very very well done. So anything mimicing my least favorite food was never at the top of my must-make list.

However, upon spying a recipe at Post Punk Kitchen's blog, I knew it was time to give it a go since Isa Chandra is a vegan goddess. It didn't disappoint. Her special spice mixture not only makes the scramble taste fantastic, but her method of making sure the tofu developes a lovely brown crust was my idea of heaven! Of course the real taste test is with my omnivore friends, who were convinced I was lying about the tofu in the scramble, Skol!

I served these with some lovely stuffed mushrooms for a quick meal and while the mushrooms won't show up on my blog until the middle of October  during VeganMoFo (Vegan Month of Food), you can see them at GoodVeg in about a week, so keep an eye out for them! 

Savory Onion Tofu Scramble
(serves 3-4)

1/2 lb firm tofu, drained
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
2 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 green onions, sliced thin
1/2 cup red onion, minced

In a small bowl combine garlic, cumin, salt, thyme, water, turmeric and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Beat with a fork to combine and set aside. Mash the tofu using a fork to create very small mashed pieces. In a large skillet, preferrably cast iron, heat on high until hot. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and add green and red onion and saute for 1 minute. Add spice mixture and saute another minute. Add tofu and stir well to combine and turn heat down to medium high. Cook tofu allowing it to brown on the bottom, creating a crust, and scrape with a metal spatula. Continue cooking until all of liquid has been absorbed and tofu is browned and crispy to your liking. Serve immediately.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:

Roasted Potatoes, Zucchini and Corn Tostadas with Romesco Sauce at Eats Well With Others
Homemade Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream at Chez Cayenne
Esquites - Mexican Corn Salad at Closet Cooking

No comments: