Pages

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Roasted Red Pepper and Sausage Pie with Potato Crust

I am been meaning to try this potato crust for some time, ever since Stacey posted about it here. With my first try, my mandoline didn't slice the potatoes quite as thin as I had hoped, and the egg leaked all over. It tasted great, but not a pretty picture! Trusting my steady hand and my favorite chef's knife I set out to make thinner slices and this time it worked.

As for the filling, my ingredients were similar if not exact. Some breakfast sausages in need of being cooked up were joined by homemade roasted red peppers. Of course I had to toss in some of my favorite herb, parsley, to add some color.

A great treat for breakfast or brunch, however this must be eaten warm; it does not do well at room temperature the way its cousin quiche is want to do.

Roasted Red Pepper and Sausage Pie with Potato Crust

8 breakfast sausage links, casing removed and chopped in 1/2 inch pieces
1 onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 roasted red peppers, chopped
5 eggs
3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
2 tablespoons parsley, minced
1 extra large red potato (or 2 medium) sliced very thin (1/4 inch)
salt
pepper

Preheat oven to 375. In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat and add onion and garlic and cook 5 minutes until soft but not browning. Add sausage and cook until done, 7-10 minutes. Stir in roasted red peppers and remove from heat. To make crust, pour 1-2 tablespoons olive oil in tart or pie pan and smear all over. Beginning at the edges, place potatoes slices in pan, overlapping to create a uniform crust. Lightly salt potatoes. Beat eggs and add cheese, sausage pepper mixture and parsley. Pour into potato crust and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool for 3-4 minutes on a drying rack and slice and serve.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:

Gigantes Plaki (Greek Baked Beans) at Eats Well With Others
Salmon Wellington at Stacey Snacks
Cardoon Gratin at Hunter Angler Gardener Cook

No comments: