Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Lamb and Barley Soup

Growing up in New England it was April Showers that would send my sisters and I into the kitchen for warmth, where my mom would make a spring soup or stew. Here in southern California we have June Gloom, when the marine layer - aka fog from the ocean - coats the sky like wet wool and makes Angeleans shiver like they were Minnesotans in subzero temperatures. Living four blocks from the ocean, I see my share of June Gloom prior to June. Here it was mid-May and I needed something to warm my bones. And bones were just the ticket!

I had some leftover bones from grilling lamb chops for mother's day and they made a great stock after boiling for 60 minutes. An added bonus was the smoky scent of the grilled chops that worked its way into the stock as well!

Since I was working with leftovers, there was less than one cup of meat, and while I felt the soup was very satisfying without any additional lamb bits, feel free to add it if you like.

Lamb and Barley Soup
(serves 3-4)

6 cups lamb stock (DIY: boil 8 cups water with lamb chop bones for 60 minutes)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 large onion, diced
1 shallot, minced
1 carrot, diced
1 small fennel bulb, diced
1 cup cubed lamb, cooked
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/3 cup barley
1-2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (optional)
salt
pepper

Heat olive oil in large sauce pan and add onion and shallot and cook 3-4 minutes until translucent. Add fennel and carrots and cook 4-5 minutes until soft. Add stock and bay leaf and bring to boil. Add thyme, lamb and barley and return to boil. Cover and turn down to medium and cook 20-25 minutes until barley is cooked. Season with salt and pepper and remove bay leaves before serving.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:

French Onion Soup at Smitten Kitchen
Cauliflower Steaks at Proud Italian Cook
Bacon, Black Pepper and Fig Scones at Bitchin' Camero

1 comment:

Joanne said...

What a super delicious soup! Barley is my favorite grain to put in soup...it has the best texture!