Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

Braised Red Cabbage with Cranberries and Mint

Red cabbage is high up on my list of seductive vegetables along with eggplant, red bell peppers and artichokes. It's color is so vibrant and beautiful that sometimes I wonder if I buy it just to look at it in my basket. Luckily I love how it tastes as well!

Most often red cabbage finds itself in my salads or as part of a coleslaw, traditional or Asian style. But occasionally I cook it up and then its brilliant hue becomes even more vibrant before it transitions to indigo. It always astounds me what colors are found in nature!

This dish is a riff on a more traditional, Alsatian style braised cabbage. Instead of raisins, caraway seeds and cider vinegar, I allowed the cabbage to braise in its own juices, adding a splash of water to keep it from drying out and added the mint and cranberries for contrast and texture. While it is good hot or chilled, I preferred it warm - perfect comfort food after the torrential rain Los Angeles received last week.

Braised Red Cabbage with Cranberries and Mint.
serves 2

3 cups red cabbage, sliced thinly
1/2 onion, sliced thinly in slivers
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon dried cranberries
1 tablespoon mint, minced
salt
pepper

In large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and salt and stir to coat with oil and cook over medium low heat until soft. Add cabbage and do not stir; allow to cook untouched for 5 minutes. Stir cabbage with onions and cook another 10 minutes. Add splash of water if cabbage is beginning to stick to pan. Cook another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cranberries to pan (cabbage should be very wilted and beginning to turn blue) and stir well. Cook last 5 minutes and stir in mint. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:

Wilted Spinach Salad at Chez Cayenne
Meyer Lemon Bars at Eats Well With Others
Shrimp with Lemon, Capers and Feta on Orzo at Thyme for Cooking

2 comments:

Nutmeg Nanny said...

I really loved red cabbage. I do not make it a lot but I'm not sure why. I should give this recipe a try. It's a nice spin to the traditional boiled cabbage.

Eve Fox said...

tasty. when did you redesign your site?! looks good!