Pages

Thursday, November 6, 2008

L'Chaim! To Life!


I am not sure how to explain it, but suddenly I am so interested in cooking again! I don't know if it's the fact that Obama is going to the White House and so some karmic release in the world has just occurred, but I created a fantastic dinner and new dish. I almost titled this post, "let's get shredded" because that was what it took to make my fancy-simple dinner, but I like the idea of toasting "Life," pure and simple.

It's an Asian (Thai perhaps) inspired grated coleslaw and I enjoyed it with slices of fresh avocado and chilled shrimp and it was divine! Sorry I don't have the camera to take pictures of the actual meal, but these pictures of the raw ingredients will have to do. If you try it, let me know what you think.


Grated Asian Slaw

1 celeriac, peeled
1 broccoli stalk
1 purple turnip
2 cups green cabbage, shredded
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1 Thai green chili, deseeded, minced
1 lime, juiced
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 avocado, sliced (optional)
5 chilled shrimp (optional)

Grate each of the vegetables into a bowl. Add the lime juice to prevent the vegetables from discoloring and add half of the salt. Mix well. Add cabbage, cilantro and chili and mix well. Toss in the sesame oil and mix well. Add black pepper to taste.

Hugs!

No comments: