Pages

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Maple Rosemary Glazed Walnuts

When I was researching some recipes to add to Co-opportunity's Holiday Guide I came across this recipe at Pinch My Salt. It caught my eye because of the interesting mix of ingredients - maple syrup, rosemary and walnuts - not your ordinary candied nut dish. I usually trust Nicole's cooking so I gave it a try.

Whoa, this is really spectacular! It's got the savory goodness of walnuts and the herb-y, resin-y scent of rosemary plus caramelized maple syrup. Oh my!

I usually find candied nuts too sweet for my taste, but the additional salt plus the rosemary offset the sweet of the maple syrup. With the added bonus that you can make it in 5 minutes (and they will cool almost as fast) this is the perfect snack to throw together when unexpected guests pop over. It has gourmet written all over it but it is simplicity at its best!


Maple Rosemary Glazed Walnuts (from Pinch My Salt)

2 cups walnut halves
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced very fine
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt

Combine rosemary, maple syrup and salt in metal bowl and add walnuts; toss to coat well. Heat skillet (preferably cast-iron) over high heat and add walnuts and toast for 2-4 minutes, stirring occasionally until maple syrup begins to caramelize (you will smell it). Stir a few more times to scrap up caramelized syrup and pour walnuts until baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil and allow to cool. Salt again if desired. Serve at room temperature.

Hugs!


Recipes currently inspiring me:

Swedish Meatballs at Simply Recipes
Lime Meltaways at Closet Cooking
Shrimp and Cilantro Shu Mai (Steamed Dumplings) at The Minimalist

No comments: