Pages

Monday, March 29, 2010

Kale, Chick Pea and Cheese Phyllo Pie

For years and years when I mostly lived alone I would make soups or chili or stews and then lament because I would have so much leftover and inevitably have to freeze it. And inevitably I would end up throwing out said frozen food because it was just no longer appetizing. Finally, in the past few years I have learned to cook much smaller portions, for 1-2 people at the most. Yet every once in a while portion control gets away from me.

This soup was one example. I ended up with two quarts of it and after finishing the first quart (eating it for three lunches straight) I knew I couldn't do anymore. It languished in the refrigerator for a couple of days, becoming more of a stew than a soup. I was loath to freeze it (greens in soup do not freeze well), and then I realized it would make a perfect filling for a phyllo pie; add some cheese, bake it up and voila!

Usually phyllo pies include beaten eggs and milk to create a solid casing for the cheese or greens that you stuff the phyllo with, but I just drained off some of the broth of the soup. Mixed up with the cheddar cheese and feta it created a perfect layering between the phyllo sheets. If phyllo intimidates you, visit my posting here to learn the tricks to easily mastering this great ingredient.

This was a perfect solution to my leftover doldrums and a delicious new version for phyllo pie!

Kale, Chick Pea and Cheese Phyllo Pie

1 quart (3 cups soup, drained of broth)
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup feta, crumbled
1 roll phyllo dough
black pepper (1-2 teaspoons to taste)
olive oil or butter for brushing sheets of phyllo

Preheat oven at 400 degrees. Combine stew with cheeses, salt and pepper in bowl. Spray 9 x 13 baking pan or dish with olive oil. Lay down two sheets of phyllo and spray with oil. Lay down two more sheets and spray with oil. Spoon 1/4 of filling around phyllo. Top with 2 more sheets of phyllo and spray with oil. Repeat, ending with 4 layers of phyllo to finish. Spray well with olive oil. Cut pie into 12 pieces and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 2-3 minutes to cool.

Hugs!

No comments: