Pages

Sunday, August 23, 2009

One Pot Breakfast


One of my favorite breakfasts is available at Gillie's in Blacksburg, VA and they call it "Chappie's Choice." It was my Sunday ritual and such a treat since it is pretty hearty and hefty: pan fried potatoes, covered with scrambled eggs and topped with melted cheese. So Good!

With such simple food, it's easy to duplicate at home and I have many times. When I first had Chappie's Choice, I was vegetarian, but I have since added bacon which makes for a great flavor with pan fried potatoes. I even go a little wild and have it for lunch or dinner when I'm in the mood for "breakfast" food. Sometimes, this is just the comfort food to soothe the soul. The following recipe is for two people (or one really hungry one!)

One Pot Breakfast

2 eggs, whipped
2 large potatoes, diced small
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 slices bacon, diced

Cook bacon until almost crisp; remove from pan and leave bacon grease. Add potatoes and toss to coat and cook on medium heat for 8-10 minutes until they begin to brown. Add onions and bacon back to pan and finish cooking bacon, potatoes and onions, which may remain somewhat raw. Remove to serving bowl. If necessary, add teaspoon olive oil or butter to hot pan and scramble eggs to desired doneness. Spoon over potatoes and top with cheese if desired. Salt and pepper and eat!

Hugs!