Pages

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Heirloom Tomatoes in Salsa Fresca


My mother recently told me that she couldn't taste the difference between heirloom tomatoes and regular ones. "Them is fighting words" is what my inner gardener/foodie wanted to rant. Instead, I decided to use an experiential approach and bought a few different ones in order to have a taste test for her. Unfortunately, the day got away from us and she went home without the taste test so I was left with some quickly ripening delicious tomatoes. I made my favorite dish, Salsa Fresca, also known as Pico de Gallo.

For many years this was my de facto "fast food" when I didn't feel like cooking and wanted something fresh, delicious and comforting. I would chop up tomatoes, garlic, onions and add some lemon or lime juice and eat the bowlful with corn tortillas. Not exactly a balance meal, but certainly yummy! Here's what I made the other night which was especially delicious with the heirlooms!

Salsa Fresca AKA Pico de Gallo

2-4 tomatoes, diced
(I used a purple Cherokee, the greenish, purplish tomatoes that are pretty large and "ugly" looking according to some. I also had a sweet yellow one and a couple of roma tomatoes to round out the flavors.)
1 tsp fresh jalapeno, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 green onions, chopped
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
juice 1 lemon
salt and pepper to taste

Combine and eat with chips or quesadillas.

Hugs!

No comments: