Pages

Friday, September 2, 2011

Pomodori al Tonno - Tuna Stuffed Tomatoes

Tired of summer's tomatoes yet? Me neither! I came across this simple and pretty snack/appetizer/light meal on Aglio, Olio e Peperoncino and decided it was my next tomato meal. And because everything sounds better in Italian!

This is barely a recipe, more of a suggestion for a food preparation. But upon showing up in the work lunchroom with these, there were plenty of ooos and ahhs so I decided they were worth a post.

These were kind of jumbo sized roma tomatoes, making them less of an amuse buche and more of an open-wide-la-buche, so I cut them in half.  As for the tuna fish salad, everyone has their own version, and it is one of those foods that I am extremely finicky about, dating to my childhood. So make your favorite and stuff it into a ripe tomato, enjoying the last days of summer!

Pomodori al Tonno - Tuna Stuffed Tomatoes (from Aglio, Olio e Peperoncino)

3-4 small roma tomatoes per diner
1-2 cups prepared tuna fish salad, according to taste

Cut the tomatoes in half and scoop out the insides; on the pointed end of the tomato, slice off a bit to create a flat base. Stuff tomatoes with tuna fish salad and serve.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:

Sugar Plum Crepes with Ricotta and Honey at Smitten Kitchen
Grilled Sesame Lime Shrimp and Cucumber Skewers at The Perfect Pantry
Lamb Kebabs at Thyme for Cooking

2 comments:

The Food Hunter said...

love tuna stuffed tomatoes...my mom always made them for my lunches.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

I love tuna stuffed tomatoes! One of my favorite summertime meals :)