Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Cucumber, Lime and Mint Agua Fresca

My garden got off to a rocky start, literally. It turns out what I thought was such a gift - the empty lot next door - has topsoil that is practically impenetrable from all of the embedded concrete rubble left behind after the house that used to stand there was demolished. Deep rooted veggies - everything except tomatoes, peppers and zucchini - were not strong enough to break through the topsoil beneath their raised beds. C'est la vie! Live and learn.

I'm starting another garden (hurray for California Fall which is really another Spring!) Once again cucumbers and mint will feature in my garden because a) homemade cornichons make me feel so smug! and b) mojitos are my favorite drink, period!

So it is little wonder that this agua fresca won my heart at first sight - cucumber, mint, lime - what more could a girl ask for! Agua Fresca - literally "fresh water" is a fruity, watery puree found at taqerias everywhere. They are great thirst quenchers, with more water than fruit, so they help put out the fires in your mouth that chile-ladden tacos can start!

With my "sour" tooth, smoothies made with berries and yogurt or another creamy liquid rarely tempt me. But sour lime, mint and cool cucumber juice, and I'm saddling up for seconds! And besides, it is just so darn pretty, how could you resist!

Cucumber, Lime and Mint Agua Fresca (from Simply Recipes)
(serves 3-4)

1 lb of cucumbers (2 good sized cucumbers), ends trimmed, but peel still on, chopped
1/2 cup lime juice from fresh lime, 5-10 depending on size
1 cup packed mint leaves, destemmed
1/3 cup honey
1 1/2 cups water

Place all ingredients in blender and puree until fully liquified. Place metal strainer over bowl and pour contents through sieve, using a large spoon to press liquid through the solids.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:

Orange Scented Almond Poppy Seed Muffins at ECurry
Cream of Tomato Soup at Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice
Sea Salt Baked Potatoes at 101 Cookbooks

3 comments:

Joanne said...

Oh my does this ever look refreshing! Perfect use for my gazillion CSA cucumbers!

Lily Anne said...

I have been looking for a recipe like this for awhile. Can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing!!

Lily Anne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.