Pages

Friday, June 3, 2011

Corn and Fava Bean Succatash - Presto Pasta Nights Host

A funny thing happened when I was hired as the Cheese, Wine and Specialty manager at Co-opportunity, I fell in love with wine. This is surprising because at the time of my hire I was much more confident in my cheese knowledge than my wine, but when it took 10 months for the cheese portion of my job to materialize, the wine section and I became very good friends.

As a result, winebars and wine shops hold infinite promise. Perusing wine selections is how countless hours are wasted - too bad they can't be written off for tax purposes! But exploring wine also serves as a great excuse to eat out at good restaurants with interesting wine lists. Primitivo in Venice Beach is an excellent example.

Not surprisingly farm fresh menus with seasonal ingredients are a must, which Primitivo practices, but they scored bonus points for serving 2.5 oz "tasting" glasses of wine alongside of the usually pour. While most restaurants will gladly allow you to taste a wine before ordering a glass - something too few diners are aware of - it feels a bit disingenuous to try several glasses before making a selection, just to taste through several varieties. With the "tasting" size pour, Primitivo's wine list makes it easy to sample. I really appreciated it and tried several, including Albarino and Verdejo of Spain (unrelated to Verdelho, its Portuguese neighbor), Fiano of Italy and an Australian Rose of Sangiovese. Such a delight!

The food was equally delightful, mostly tapas style, one of which was this corn and fava bean succatash. Since succatash is one of my favorites, I had to duplicate it. Primitivo's take used chervil instead of thyme, but I think it holds up just as well!

I will be hosting Presto Pasta Nights next week, so if you want to participate, please send your entry to kirstenmlindquist (at) gmail (dot) com and cc ruth (at) 4everykitchen (dot) com by Thursday, June 9. Then check back on Friday, June 10 to see all of the luscious pasta dishes in the round-up. I am always so excited and inspired to see what folks send in so I hope you will join in the fun. See you then!
Corn and Fava Bean Succatash
(serves 4)

1 1/2 cups cooked corn
1 cup fava beans (1 lb fresh, shelled, boiled and peeled)
2 tablespoons red bell pepper, diced
1 shallot, minced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon salt
cracked black pepper

Heat oil and butter over medium high heat until butter melts. Add shallot and saute for 3-4 minutes until translucent. Add corn and fava beans and saute for another 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add red bell pepper and thyme and cook another 2 minutes. Season with salt and lots of cracked black pepper and serve.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me: 

Parmesan Oven Fries at Thyme for Cooking
Asparagus Gratin at Pinch My Salt
Tomato Eggplant Gratin at Talk of Tomatoes

4 comments:

Reeni said...

I want to fall in love with wine! It hasn't happened for me. Great job recreating the succatash! I like the fava beans instead of the usual lima beans I see everyone using.

pam said...

Oh, I'll have to make some pasta so I can join you next week!

Joanne said...

I absolutely love succotash, especially with these fava beans!

I'm right there with Reeni. I can tolerate white wine but red and I are best enemies. I hope to love it someday!

Janie said...

Oh I Love succotash..I have to try this version.

I found you over on Girlie Chef...Love you blog...(and philosophy)