Pages

Monday, November 22, 2010

Persimmon and Pomegranate Salad

I had never eaten (let alone heard of) persimmons until I arrived in the land of California. They're an interesting looking orange orb, with a green "cap" on top. My last roommate froze them and then scooped out the flesh like ice cream. I decided to find another way to eat them as that sounded too cold and too sweet.

After peeling them and taking a nibble I knew they'd go well with a squeeze of lime, more so than lemon. When I realized I had some prepared pomegranate seeds (made the Magreb style with sugar and orange blossom water) I knew they would be a match made in heaven. How right I was!

Persimmons have the texture of not quite ripe cantaloupe melon and a somewhat similar flavor, but not nearly as sweet. I'm eager to try them out in other ways, so let me know if you have suggestion!

Persimmon and Pomegranate Salad

3 persimmons, peeled, cored and cut in slices
1/2 lime, juiced
2 tablespoons prepared pomegranate seeds (recipe here)

Mix all and serve chilled.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:

Sausage Bread at The Perfect Pantry
Roasted Grapes with Shallots and Thyme at An Edible Mosiac
Pear and Cranberry Rustic Tart at Simply Recipes

1 comment:

Nutmeg Nanny said...

I have never had a persimmon before. I really need to try one. It sounds lovely!