Pages

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Seared Ahi Tuna with Cajun Seasoning

A couple of weeks ago when I was vacationing on Block Island my sister made this recipe and unfortunately I didn't get a photo then. Happily we are roommates so when I mentioned how much I loved this dish she made it again! Such a lovely sister!

I know this is one of those dishes that is ubiquitous in all levels of restaurants, but with good reason; it tastes amazing and is so easy and quick to make, it's almost a crime. It is two ingredients and takes less than 10 minutes total from opening the package, to dredging the fish, to cooking, resting and slicing. Fantastic!

If you're one of those people who thinks they do not like sushi, let me ask if you eat your burger or steak with some pink in the middle; this is the same thing, only with fish. You absolutely need to make it sushi grade and get as red and as thick a cut as possible.

Not only is this super quick but so versatile. Serve it as a main entree and wow company or treat yourself to it on a bed of greens for a decadent salad at lunch. Create your own spice mix and tailor it to your palate. However you serve it, this one is always a winner!

Seared Ahi Tuna with Cajun Seasoning

1/2 lb Ahi Tuna (sushi grade) per diner
cajun seasoning (I used Emeril's brand)

Heat a cast iron skillet or heavy bottom pan on high heat for at least 3 minutes. Dredge fish in Cajun seasoning, patting seasoning into fish. Sear it on each side, 1-2 minutes per side and remove from heat. Allow to cool for a few minutes then slice on the diagonal. Seared tuna should be pink (raw) and cool inside.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me: 

Jamaican Goat Curry at Simply Recipes
Double Baked Spuds at Nip It In the Bud
Hot Cheesy Mushroom Dip at Closet Cooking

No comments: