Pages

Monday, May 3, 2010

Bok Choy and Broccoli with Hoisin Glaze

It used to be that when I needed cooking inspiration I would start looking through cookbooks, usually looking up ingredients in the index and look at recipes from that perspective. But currently, most of my possessions are in storage and only about a quarter of my cookbooks are on hand. So I do the 21st century approach and cruise the internet.

The other day my ingredient of choice was Hoisin sauce, that pungent sweet and sour sauce used in American-ified Chinese restaurants which I had recently bought at an Asian market. But when I say I cruise the internet, I do not just read any random recipes that I find when I search "hoisin"; I go to my internet friends, other food bloggers for suggestions. Where better to look for what to do with a pantry staple than The Perfect Pantry!

Lydia's recent post of Steamed Baby Bok Choy with Spicy Hoisin Glaze was the starting point and I just worked from there with what I had and my desire for a stir fry rather than just steaming the vegetables. Her version called for some additional agave nectar or honey, but I find hoisin sweet enough without that addition. Make adjustments as you desire. Either way, it is delicious!

Bok Choy and Broccoli with Hoisin Glaze

1/3 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
juice from 1 lime
1 teaspoon Tabasco
3-4 baby bok choy, cleaned, chopped in 1/2 inch slices
1 stalk broccoli, chopped in even size pieces
3 green onions, white and green pieces separated
1 thumb size piece of ginger, peeled, minced
3 large garlic cloves, minced
large handful of spinach leaves, cleaned
3 tablespoons high heat cooking oil (safflower, sunflower)

Combine hoisin sauce, soy sauce and lime juice in mix well. Heat wok over high heat until it begins to smoke. Add oil and swirl to coat. When it begins to smoke add garlic, ginger and white part of scallions, tossing continuously. Add broccoli and stir fry 2 minutes. Add bok choy and stir fry continuously. Add spinach and stir another minute. Stir sauce to reblend and pour over vegetables and allow to coat all and cook 2 minutes. Remove from pan and serve over rice.

Hugs!

4 comments:

Sarah S. said...

For some reason your last like 10 posts all showed up in my reader at the same time that you posted this one. Either my reader is being quirky or you were one busy blog poster yesterday! At any rate, happy to see all these posts now, especially this one and the smashed fava bean soba noodle dish. WOW!

Kirsten Lindquist said...

Hey Sarah, sorry about the overload! Don't know what was up with that, but glad to hear from you again!

The Food Hunter said...

I love bok choy!

Eve Fox said...

mmmm! that looks yummy!