Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Coriander Chutney - Best Indian Condiment Ever

If you have ever eaten at a buffet in an Indian restaurant you probably are already acquainted with coriander chutney; it is the vibrant green sauce that is almost always next to the yogurt sauce in the condiment section. Added to curries and dals, this chutney is the epitome of Indian flavors for me.

While there are probably hundreds of chutney recipes out there (and probably thousands if you account for variations from family to family) my favorite is coriander chutney. Its fresh green taste has just a little bite of spice and yet it acts like lemon juice on fish; it enlivens everything into which it is swirled.

It goes without saying that I am a huge fan of cilantro and thus love to spread its deliciousness whenever possible. Since making coriander chutney at home is a cinch I indulge my obsession freely, adding it to cooked rice or barley, smearing it on toast and dabbing it on cooked fish and chicken. Its lovely green color enlivens everything it touches!

Coriander Chutney


2 large bunches cilantro
1/2 cup mint leaves
1 serrano green chili, chopped (or 2 green Thai chilies)
2 tablespoons ginger, minced
6 tablespoons sesame seeds
3 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water
3 tablespoons yogurt or sour cream
2 teaspoons sugar

Dry fry sesame and cumin seeds until they begin to brown, shaking them every 30 seconds so they don't burn. Set aside to cool. Blend with all ingredients in blender or food processor. Refrigerated, it keeps for a few weeks.

Hugs!

2 comments:

Eve Fox said...

this sounds and looks delicious!!!

Pia said...

Hey Kirsten, I just came across your coriander chutney recipe! I love it!
I run two danish food-webblog; indian and Italian food. And I would love, if I could use your picture for coriander chutney - I´d of cause give you full credit as well as a direct link to your blog.
Please let me know, thanks so much!
Email me at: PIA@indiskmad.com

Check my web-sites here:
www.IndiskMad.com
www.ItalienskMad.com

Will be looking forward to hear from a fellow foooood-lover/-blogger :-)