Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2023

Yogurt Cheese Pie with Raspberry Coulis

When I was in graduate school eons ago, I threw dinner parties. The first party I made homemade lasagna noodles with a spinach bolognese sauce, thinking it was pretty fancy. My diners loved it but wondered where dessert was. Dessert didn't even cross my mind, not for the entire nine hours of food preparation! But realizing that it was expected, I developed this goodie for my future meals.

Dessert is not my forte, not a strong desire. Chocolate is fine, but give me bread and butter or cheese and crackers. Mine is a very savory palate! So this dessert isn't very sweet, but it seemed to satisfy those who ate it.

Before Greek yogurt was available everywhere, this pie was made of "yogurt cheese," strained yogurt, mixed with sugar and vanilla. Poured into a graham cracker crust (or something akin to it) with a raspberry coulis on top. I loved it! 

Now, you can buy greek yogurt, which is strained regular yogurt, which makes this pie that much easier. My pie is generally more tart than those who like their desserts sweet, so taste as you go. In the past, I rarely strained the raspberry coulis, since it was simpler and I was often more preoccupied with finishing dinner preparations. Here I did, and it was divine. If you have the time and the inclination, strain it!

Yogurt Cheese Pie with Raspberry Coulis

(makes a 9 inch pie)

pre-made graham cracker crust

32 oz plain, unsweetened Greek yogurt (I like Fage or Greek Gods)

1/3-1/2 cup sugar, to taste

1 teaspoons vanilla extract

bag frozen raspberries, defrosted

1 tablespoon lime juice

1-2 tablespoons sugar, to taste

Whisk the yogurt with the sugar and vanilla until whipped and fluffy. Spoon into the crust and chill. In a food processor, puree sugar, raspberries with their juice and lime juice until well blended. If straining, press through a fine mesh strainer, scraping coulis off bottom and pressing on the solids in the strainer to get all of the coulis. Pour over the yogurt cheese and chill at least an hour. This is best eaten the day it is made, since it will soak into the crust and get soggy, and the yogurt whey will begin to seep out. It will still taste good, but lose some of its looks.

Hugs!

 

No comments: