Pages

Saturday, June 18, 2011

White Bean and Andouille Soup with Cilantro

Lots of folks loudly proclaim their addiction to chocolate. They swoon over 75, 85 percent dark chocolate bars, double chocolate cakes with fudge frosting, or super chocolaty ice cream with chocolate covered anything hidden in its depths. Me? The Sugar Fairy ignored me and instead I got visited by the Sausage Elf who enslaved me to him for all eternity.

I have confessed here how sausage wooed me away from my 15 years as a vegetarian. What happens when I visit Lindy and Grundy, Los Angeles' latest (and only) butcher shop with local, pasture-raised and organic meat? I buy pounds of sausages. That's it. Just sausages, ma'am, no need for any of that plain ole meat. Give me seasoned pork (and some lamb, occasionally). You could say I'm in hog heaven!

Four kinds of sausages made it into my basket: Spicy Chorizo and Andouille, Kielbasa and a savory Lamb. Spicy sausage is at the top of favorites list so those got used first. Keep and eye out for a future post for Chorizo and Potato Tacos (divine!) As for the Andouille, gumbo was the first idea that came to mind but since okra hasn't made it to our markets (nor my garden) that had to wait. Instead, this white bean and andouille soup was just the thing to cut through the damp and chilly June gloom day L.A. was experiencing.

This soup is almost pure, pureed protein, so you will definitely want to serve it with some cooked greens or a salad. Super hearty and bone warming, do not leave out the cilantro and onion topping, it brings the flavors together beautifully!

I'm sending this to Winnie at Healthy Green Kitchen for Weekend Herb Blogging.

White Bean and Andouille Soup with Cilantro
(serves 3-4)

2 cups cooked great northern beans (cannelini) with 2 cups of cooking liquid (or 1 15 oz can, plus 2 cans of water)
3 large cloves garlic, minced
1/2 lb andouille sausage, fresh
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt
pepper
2 tablespoons cilantro
2 tablespoons red onion, sliced thin

In large sauce pan squeeze sausage out of its casing in 1/2 inch pieces and cook over medium heat. Add olive oil if sausage sticks to bottom of pot. Cook 4-5 minutes until sausage loses its raw color. Add garlic and cook another 3 minutes, stirring. Add beans, liquid and additional water if necessary. bring to boil and reduce to simmer and cook for 7-9 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow to cool 2 minutes. Mince onion and cilantro together. Season soup with salt and pepper and sprinkle cilantro onion mixture on top of each bowl and serve.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:

Jerked Fish over Coconut Rice and Mango Salsa at Closet Cooking
Roasted Shrimp with Lemon Thyme at Sidewalk Shoes
Pickled Me Elmo: Red Onions at Stacey Snacks

4 comments:

Joanne said...

Sausage hasn't wooed me away from vegetarianism yet, but it's probably one of the few meats that could actually do so! This soup sounds delicious!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

This soup sounds amazing! It's full of some of my favorite flavors!

Winnie said...

I have heard great things about that butcher...thanks for submitting your great soup to WHB 288; I've posted the recap if you want to check it out!

Graziana said...

I think I will try this recipe with fresh coriander from my pots...